Sunday, March 29, 2009

Taking All of My Precious Internet Time - BSM

I have been on the Internet a WHOLE LOT this past weekend. I know you hear all of these stories about how people inherit antiques and things, but this one is true.

My parents just moved out of their house (Thank you real estate God's for getting their house sold in this market. It was simply a miracle. More on the reason they sold at a later time). I found this camera in their closet and my Mom told me that my grandfather had given it to my Dad about 10 years ago. My Mom said I could have it if I wanted. It had just been collecting dust for the last 10 years.

I started looking on the Internet to see if I could find anything more out about the camera. I also went to a local camera store and asked them to give me a value for it in case I wanted to trade it in for a new lens or something. Currently, I am craving this lens....(really bad). Anyways, The guy at the store told me he would give me $425.00 for everything I had (camera, 50mm, 35mm, (2) 135mm and viewfinder). He even told me he could cut me a check right there. Not thinking or knowing anything of it, I told him I would have to think about it. I didn't even know if my parents would mind if I sold it or not. He gave me his card, I thanked him and me and my patient little monkey were on our way.

As I said, I have been on the Internet ALL weekend researching the camera and looking for possible places to post it for sale if that's the road I chose. I have figured out that it is a Nikon M from 1950 (give or take a year). the second series Nikon next to the Nikon One. I'm wondering if the guy at the camera store under bid me a bit....

In any case, it has been very exciting reading about this camera and all of its accessories. Since I have actually been thinking of this camera in my sleep because of how much I have been reading about it, I am calling this my best shot.

DSC_6093

If anyone knows a good place to find approximate values on vintage cameras (besides ebay) I am all ears!

For more Best Shot Monday images, head over to Tracey's.

11 comments:

  1. I too have decided to shoot some film. I can't wait to get started. great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was wise to not sell it on the spot. He seemed a little too eager. IT would be fun to take some pictures with it before you let it go.
    Very nice shot of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool shot and camera. I don't know much about vintage cameras, but it sounds like you did the right thing. At least you know you have that as an option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is freakin' awesome - what a cool camera! I don't know anything about vintage cameras, but that offer does seem low...good for you for holding onto it and researching. But why didn't I know you're a Canon girl? All this time I've thought you're a Nikon girl like me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great find. i love that shot of it, too. maybe contact your local camera/photography club? or someone who teaches photography at a community college? they might be able to steer you in the right direction as to value or an expert in your area. have you thought about taking some shots with it? very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun find. Film? Nope. Don't think it's for me, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really cool! If I had dispoable income and more time it sure would be fun to play around with something like that. But I have neither, so I hope that you (or whoever you sell it to) have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky ducky you! That is an amazing camera...I don't know for sure, but I would think that the camera dudes anxiousness to "cut you a check" right away...means that he was trying to sucker you!

    I'm glad you held off! Although you might be ready to be done dreaming about it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, very cool! It's even a Nikon...yay! I wish I knew more about vintage cameras to help you out. That would be great to either shoot it a bit or sell it to get something you want.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow, don't sell it! It's too beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome find! I love when I can find old stuff that fits me...

    ReplyDelete